The interior designer in me is always looking for ways to make things more colorful and these pancakes are no exception.
Using a boxed mix cuts down on prep time, but you could easily do this same technique with a homemade pancake mix if you prefer. Our kids love to squeeze the food coloring into the bowl and swirl the colors around. I love that they come out looking like little delicious works of art and that no two ever look the same.
These are great for the holidays (think rainbow colors for Easter, red and green for Christmas, black and orange for Halloween, etc) and lots of fun for sleepovers or anytime you want to up your breakfast game!
Super Simple Tie-Dye Pancakes
- Electric Griddle
- mixing bowl
- Butter Knife
- red, blue, green, yellow liquid food coloring
- complete pancake mix
- butter for serving
- maple syrup for serving
- Preheat nonstick electric griddle to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix pancake mix with water according to package directions.
- Randomly add a few drops of each color of food coloring to the mix.
- Swirl gently with a butter knife, being careful not to stir to much and create a large brown mess. It should look swirly and fun, like a tie-dyed shirt.
- Pour mix onto hot griddle about 1/4 cup per pancake. When bubbles begin to pop on top side of pancake, flip over and finish cooking until lightly browned.
- Slather with butter and top with syrup. Serve warm.