This Quiche recipe comes from my dad’s kitchen. It’s fancy enough for a brunch, simple enough for a breakfast and hearty enough for a dinner. I love how versatile it is. You can add in any meat, cheese and vegetables that your family likes to eat, or use it as an opportunity to clean out the fridge. Left over pepper ends and three spare mushrooms? Perfect in a recipe like this. We make this when we have a surplus of eggs from our backyard chickens (thanks girls!) and like to serve it alongside a green salad for dinner or lunch or with a side of fruit at breakfast. It also reheats nicely if you should have any leftovers.
Some of our favorite flavor combos are bacon with broccoli and cheddar, crab with spinach, mushrooms and pepper jack, and ham with Swiss, spinach and mushrooms.
- pie dish
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 cup veggies of your choice broccoli, mushroom, spinach and onion are favorites
- 9 large eggs
- 6 oz cheese, shredded cheddar or pepper jack are good
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half
- 2/3 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place pie crust into a lightly buttered pie plate.
- Microwave veggies for about 3 minutes to jump start their cooking. Drain off any liquid.
- Layer meat, veggies and cheese in the pie crust: meat, veggies, and cheese. Meat, veggies, and cheese.
- Whisk eggs, milk, salt, sugar and cayenne together in a large bowl or Pyrex measuring cup.
- Place pie plate in preheated oven and pour egg mixture into crust. (This helps avoid spilling)
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes and then reduce the heat to 325 degrees.
- Bake for an additional 30 minutes until eggs are set.
- Remove from oven and let sit 10-30 minutes before serving.