We love a good steak dinner at our house but feeding everybody their own individual steak isn’t exactly budget friendly. That’s where our Philly Cheese Steak Casserole comes in. This meal combines some of our family’s favorite flavors all in one bowl! It incorporates tender steak, caramelized onions, mushrooms, green peppers and provolone cheese all layered on top of creamy mashed potatoes.
We like to use thinly sliced venison in this recipe if we have some available but beef would work just as well. If you have picky kids who don’t like their foods to touch (you know who you are!), you can just portion out some of the components you know they’ll eat and set them aside before you layer everything together into the casserole. We serve this along side a green salad for a filing and homey meal without the steak house price!
Philly Cheese Steak Casserole
- Large pan for boiling potatoes
- Large skillet
- 13 x 9 baking dish
- Potato masher
- 5 medium Russet Potatoes (or about 4 cups) peeled and cubed
- 1 medium Red Onion sliced thin
- 1 1/2 medium Bell Peppers sliced thin
- 1 1/2 lbs Steak sliced thin
- 5 tbsp Butter divided
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese
- 1/2 tbsp plus 1/2 tsp Steak Seasoning like McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 4 oz Button Mushrooms sliced thin
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add potatoes. Cook until fork tender. Drain and keep warm. (Whole potatoes should be about the size of your palm.)
- While potatoes cook, in a large skillet, add two tablespoons of butter and melt over medium heat. Add in sliced peppers, onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of steak seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes or until onion is translucent and mushrooms are slightly browned. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Melt one tbsp butter in skillet. Add in sliced steak and one tbsp steak seasoning. Cook, stirring occasionally until meat is just barely cooked. It will cook a little more in the oven and you don't want to over do it!
- While meat cooks, mash potatoes with milk and remaining butter. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Spread mashed potatoes into the bottom of the 13 x 9" baking dish.
- Top with pepper mixture.
- Chop steak into little bite sized pieces.
- Sprinkle steak over pepper layer.
- Top with cheese and bake for 8 minutes.
- Place under the broiler until cheese is bubbly and brown, about 3 more minutes. Serve with a green salad.