This classic version of Chicken Noodle Soup is part of my One Chicken, Three Meals repertoire and is perfect for a chilly day or any time you’re feeling a little under the weather. Made from wholesome vegetables, pasta, and the meat pulled from a boned chicken, it is incredibly inexpensive to make and a will help you stretch your grocery dollars without sacrificing flavor or a full belly.
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- Large stock pot
- Large bowl
- 1 whole Chicken carcass thighs, legs and breasts removed, tenders and wings intact
- 8 cups water or enough to almost cover chicken
- 8 chicken bullion cubes
- 1 medium onion chopped, skins and ends reserved
- 3 large carrots sliced, peels reserved
- 3 large celery stalks sliced, bushy tops reserved
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
- 1 1/2 lb pasta of your choice, uncooked
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Place chicken into a large stock pot and pour in water
- Drop in chicken bullion cubes and set to a boil over medium-high heat
- Add in reserved onion ends, carrot peels, crushed garlic and celery ends and leaves
- Boil chicken for 35-45 minutes or until meat begins to fall off the bones. Be sure to turn chicken a couple of times during cooking so that it cooks evenly. Once cooked, turn off heat.
- Place a large bowl or pot into the bottom of your sink and place a colander on top. Slowly and carefully pour the contents of the stock pot into the strainer. Let drain and cool for 10 minutes.
- Return cooking liquid to the large stock pot. Add additional water as necessary to equal about 8 cups total liquid.
- Taste broth for seasoning and add in additional salt, pepper or bullion according to taste.
- Add in carrots, onion, celery and parsley. Return pot to medium-high heat and boil for until vegetables are crisp-tender. About 10 minutes.
- While veggies are boiling, remove chicken bones to a cutting board and carefully remove meat from the bones including what's on the wings, tenders, and any pieces left near the thighs and on the back of the bird. Chop or tear large pieces into bite sized pieces. Discard skin and bones, and add chicken to stock pot.
- Add in dry pasta and boil for an additional 10 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Taste one final time for seasoning and serve warm with a side salad and/or bread.