This is probably my favorite chicken recipe and that is saying a lot, because I make a lot of chicken! Its decadent enough for a fancy meal, easy enough for a weeknight, and our kids love it too, once they pick the mushrooms off that is 🙂 (We’re still working on them!). This recipe is part of my One Chicken, Three Meals repertoire and makes four servings with only two chicken breasts! To prep the chicken, you slice each breast in half along the length and create two thin slices from each breast. I like to season the chicken rather than the flour mixture because I feel it makes the chicken more flavorful. Left over sauce can be used to top pasta or mashed potatoes.
Favorite Chicken Marsala
- saute pan
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts slice in half along the length to make 4 thin breasts
- black pepper
- dried basil
- garlic powder
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small red onion sliced thin
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 4 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced thin
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup marsala wine or other dry white wine
- Slice chicken breasts in half along the length to make four thin breast pieces
- Sprinkle both sides of chicken breasts with salt, pepper, basil and garlic powder
- Add olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter to saute pan. combine over medium high heat.
- In a shallow bowl, add flour and dredge seasoned breast pieces, covering both sides.
- Add chicken to saute pan in one layer. Cook for about 3 minutes per side and remove to a plate to keep warm. Chicken will finish cooking in the sauce.
- Add last tbsp of butter, garlic, onions and mushrooms to saute pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Saute over medium heat until mushrooms are nicely browned and onion is translucent and soft, making sure to scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan for about 8 minutes.
- Add in chicken broth, wine and cream and turn heat down to medium. Simmer for about 10 minutes until sauce reduces slightly.
- Add chicken pieces back in to pan and cover with sauce. Saute for about 5 more minutes until chicken is warm and cooked through.
- Serve over pasta or with a side of mashed potatoes.