This recipe is a riff on something my dad used to make when I was a little girl and it is now part of my One Chicken Three Meals repertoire. It combines the flavors of honey, soy sauce and peanut butter to make a rich sauce that is both sweet and savory. Full of healthy veggies and tender chicken, we like this served over hot rice. My husband and I usually add some chopped wasabi almonds and crushed red pepper flake for some heat to round out the flavor profile.
Chinese Chicken Stirfry
- Large saute pan or wok
- Sauce pan with lid
- 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts sliced into thin strips
- 1 bell pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 tbsp low sodium soy sauce divided
- 3 tbsp honey divided
- 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 1/2 cups dry rice prepared according to package directions
- 3 tbsp olive oil divided
- chopped peanuts or wasabi almonds to garnish
- red pepper flake as desired
- Cook rice according to package directions. Set aside and keep warm.
- While rice is cooking, slice chicken into thin strips and marinate in a bowl with 2 tbsp of soy sauce, turning to coat.
- While chicken is marinating, chop veggies.
- Add 2 tbsp olive oil and garlic to saute pan or wok and saute over medium heat until garlic is fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Add in chicken and soy sauce from marinade. Cook for 5 minutes. Drizzle with 1 tbsp of honey and cook another 5 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan to bowl and keep warm.
- Add additional tbsp of olive oil to pan and saute veggies until crisp tender, about 5 minutes. Add in chicken stock and 2 tbsp soy sauce to deglaze the pan. Add in 2 tbsp more honey and peanut butter and stir to incorporate. Cook an additional 5 minutes.
- In a separate cup, mix cornstarch and cold water until there are no more lumps.
- Return chicken to pan and bring up to a simmer. Slowly pour in cornstarch slurry, stirring constantly until thick. Turn off heat and taste for seasoning. Add additional soy sauce or honey per your preference.
- Serve atop warm rice. Top with chopped peanuts or wasabi almonds if desired.