This classic recipe is part of my One Chicken Three Meals repertoire. It has a flaky top crust, creamy and savory sauce, tender chicken and lots and lots of vegetables. It is inexpensive to make and so filling! Plus, the kids get really excited when the find out they’re having ‘pie’ for dinner! You can either boil the chicken legs in a pot on the stove or use an electric pressure cooker. This is some serious comfort food right here!
Chicken Pot Pie
- 13 x 9 baking pan
- small stock pot
- saute pan
- Instant Pot or stock pot
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 3 cups chicken stock or 3 cups water with 3 chicken bullion cubes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped small
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 large red skinned potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 cubes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 prepared pie crusts
- Start by cooking the chicken legs. You can either do this on the stove top in a stock pot, boiling the legs in the chicken broth for about 45 minutes or until the meat falls off the bone, or in the Instant Pot using the manual setting for 30 minutes and letting the pressure release naturally.
- While the chicken is cooking, chop up veggies. Add potatoes to a pot of salted boiling water and cook until just tender but not mushy, about 8 minutes.
- Saute onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant.
- Drain potatoes and place in 13 x 9 pan.
- Add peas and corn to onion and garlic and saute for another 5 minutes with some salt and pepper. Turn heat down to low.
- When chicken is finished cooking, remove to a cutting board, reserving cooking liquid. Let chicken cool enough to handle and separate the meat from the skin and bones. Chop chicken into bite sized pieces and discard skin and bones. Place chicken in 13 x 9 pan with potatoes.
- Dump chicken stock from cooking into pan with onions, garlic, peas and corn. Bring to a simmer.
- In a separate cup, stir cornstarch into cold water until there are no lumps. Add cornstarch slurry to broth mixture and stir constantly until thickened with a whisk, about 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper as necessary.
- Pour mixture over chicken and potatoes and stir gently to mix.
- Unroll refrigerated pie crusts and place on top of mixture, cutting to fit. (You will probably need about one and a half crusts to cover). Fold any overhanging edges over and make a few slices along the top with a sharp knife to vent.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 35 minutes or until golden brown on top and bubbly.