This meal is part of my One Chicken, Three Meals repertoire and it’s one of our family’s favorites. Based on a recipe that my grandma used to make, its a classic, full of healthy broccoli, creamy sauce, crunchy breadcrumbs and melty cheese. It’s comforting and homey, warm and filling, and cheap to make. An all around winner! We like this served either next to or on top of mashed potatoes.
Chicken and Broccoli Divan
- 13 x 9 baking pan
- Large stock pot
- 2 chicken leg quarters
- 3 cups chicken stock or three cups of water with 3 chicken bullion cubes
- 1 head of broccoli, chopped cooked crisp tender and drained
- 1 12 oz can cream of mushroom, broccoli or chicken soup
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- Start by cooking the chicken legs. You can either do this on the stove top in a stock pot, boiling the legs in the chicken broth for about 45 minutes or until the meat falls off the bone, or in the Instant Pot using the manual setting for 30 minutes and letting the pressure release naturally.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from pan and let cool long enough to be able to pull the meat from the bones. Chop meat into bite sized pieces and discard skin and bones. Save broth if you like for another recipe or make into gravy for mashed potatoes.
- In a 13 x 9 baking dish, combine soup, milk, cooked chicken and cooked broccoli florets. Stir and spread along the bottom of the dish.
- Sprinkle the top with cheese.
- Melt butter in a microwave save bowl and stir in bread crumbs. Sprinkle mixture on top of dish.
- Bake in a 450 degree preheated oven for 15 minutes until bubbly and the bread crumbs are golden brown. Serve on top of mashed potatoes or on the side for picky eaters.