This soup is a warm and comforting classic. It is part of my One Chicken Three Meals repertoire. It’s easy to make and oh so filling, topped with soft, fluffy dumplings. Packed with protein, veggies and little floating biscuits, its a complete meal all in one bowl!
Chicken and Dumplings Soup
- Large stock pot
- medium bowl
- 1 whole chicken carcass thighs, legs and breasts removed, tenders and wings intact
- 6 cups water or enough to cover chicken bones
- 6 chicken bullion cubes
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 large celery stalks sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups all purpose baking mix like Bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Add chicken, water and bullion to large stock pot and boil over medium-high
heat for 35-45 minutes or until meat falls off the bones. Be sure to turn
chicken over a couple of times during cooking to make sure it cooks evenly.
Once cooked, turn off heat.
- Place a large bowl in the sink and set a large colander on top. Carefully
pour the chicken and broth into the strainer. Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and separate meat from skin and bones.
Chop meat into bite sized pieces and discard bones and skin.
- Transfer 6 cups of broth (add more water if needed) back into large stock pot. Stir in chicken chunks, onion, celery and carrots and simmer over medium heat until vegetables are crisp tender. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt, pepper or bullion to taste.
- While soup is simmering, mix together baking mix and milk in a bowl to form a smooth dough.
- In a small cup or bowl, mix together cornstarch and cold water until well combined with no lumps. Slowly whisk cornstarch mixture into soup, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Using a tablespoon, drop spoonfuls of dough mixture into soup pot. Continue dropping dough balls into soup until the surface of the soup is covered.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Cover pot and simmer an additional 10 minutes. Serve warm.